Marian Dale Scott was born in 1906 in Montréal, Québec. In 1917, she began taking classes under William Brymner and Alberta Cleland at the Art Association of Montréal. She spent three years at the École des Beaux-Arts, and the Monument National, under Edmond Dyonnet. She then attended London's Slade School of Art for just under a year, studying with Henry Tonks.
Scott's career spans over seventy-years, she worked as a painter, muralist, draughtswoman and commercial artist.
Her subjects varied from landscapes, urban scenes, figurative, florals, the cellular world, and abstraction. She also experimented with different styles throughout her artistic practice. She exhibited nationally.
In 1936, along with Norman Bethune and Fritz Brandtner, Scott began teaching at their newly established Children's Art Centre.
She also taught at St. George's School, at the Montréal Museum of Fine Arts, with Arthur Lismer, and at Macdonald College outside Montréal.
In 1941, Scott was commissioned to create a mural for the McGill University Faculty of Medicine. This work inspired a series of paintings that explored cellular forms and composition.
Scott was a founding member of the Contemporary Arts Society, and a member of the Federation of Canadian Artists, Canadian Group of Painters, Royal Canadian Academy of Arts and Conseil de la Peinture du Québec.
She was honoured with the Thomas More Institute's Purchase Award in 1967 and the Ontario Society of Artists' Baxter Purchase Award in 1969.
She died in 1993.