Leslie Coppold was born in Montréal in 1914. He started taking art lessons when he was seven years old. He attended West Hill High School, studied drawing at the École des Beaux Arts under Henri Charpentier and Maurice Felix. Coppold also attended the Ontario College of Art for a year.
Coppold worked as an advertising display artist. He was art director and vice-president of Taylor Advertising Ltd. until 1976. He taught art at Loyola College as well as L'Academie des Beaux Arts.
One of his first major commisions was for the Canadian Pavilion at the 1939 New York World's Fair that focused on Canada's natural resources, travel and sports. In 1967, he created displays for the Bell Telephone Museum at Expo 67. Coppold also handled accounts for Trans-Canada Air Lines, Shawinigan Water and Power and Johnson & Johnson, designed the logo for the McGill Redmen Hockey team and the menus for Piazza Tomasso Restaurant.
Coppold was elected to the Royal Academy of Arts in 1950. His works are in private and corporate collections, including the Québec Museum of Art and the Montréal Museum of Fine Arts. He is best known for watercolours and streets capes of St. Henri and The Point.
He died in 2007 at St. Mary's Hospital.