Kenneth Lochhead was born in 1926 in Ottawa, Ontario. He studied art at Queen’s University, the Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts, and the Barnes Foundation.
He was appointed the Director of the School of Art at the University of Saskatchewan’s Regina campus in 1950 and remained in Regina until 1964.
In 1955 he initiated the Emma Lake Professional Artists’ Workshops, which encourage the appreciation of Saskatchewan modern artists in the international art scene.
He was a member of the Regina Five painters who exhibited at the National Gallery in 1961.
He taught at the University of Manitoba from 1964-1973, York University from 1973-1975, and the University of Ottawa from 1975-1989. He retired in 1989 and worked in his studio on a full-time. his style and subjects ranged from abstracts, to landscapes, and impressionistic works.
From 1953 until 2006 Lochhead exhibited in over three hundred national and international exhibitions. He received over a dozen Canadian and international art commissions. His public commissions included a mural for the Regina Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion, a mural for the Gander International Airport, the design for Manitoba’s Centennial Stamp, relief decoration for the Canadian Chancery in Warsaw, Poland, and a mural for the Department of Foreign Affairs, Ottawa.
In 2005 the MacKenzie Art Gallery marked Saskatchewan’s Centennial celebrations with a sixty-year retrospective of Lochhead’s career.
He was awarded The Order of Canada in 1971, an Honorary Doctor of Laws from the University of Regina in 2001, and the Governor General’s Award in Visual and Media Arts in 2006. He was also a member of The Royal Canadian Academy of Arts.
He died in 2006 in Ottawa, Ontario.