Jean Paul Jérôme was born in Montréal in 1928. he attende The School of Fine Arts of Montréal from 1945 to 1952, he mastered the techniques surrounding the art of fresco, under the direction of Stanley Cosgrove.
His work began by creating landscapes and still lifes but he also spent time exploring Cubist techniques, espeecially in 1953, the era of abstraction.
In 1955 he founded, together with three of his fellow painters, Jauran Rodolphe de Repentigny, Louis Belzile and Fernand Toupin, the group of Plastic, the Manifesto published in February 1955.
He lived in Paris from 1956 to 1958, during which he met Giacometti, René Vasarelly and Mortensen, with whom he shared a deep passion for working with shapes and color. He also befriended Gilioli sculptors, Hans Hartung and Martin Barre, often making visits to their studios.
He exhibited at The Galerie de France and Arnaud Gallery, in 1957.
In November 1958 he returned to Canada, and became certified as an art teacher at the School of Fine Arts in Montréal. He left the world of teaching in 1973 to devote himself to the pursuit of his paintings. He established a studio in the countryside near the St. Lawrence.
In 1978 he became a member of the Royal Academy of Arts. He has exhibited nationally and his works are part of many public and provate collections.
In 2003, the Musée du Bas-Saint-Laurent, made a tribute presenting a retrospective of his works. The exhibit travelled across Canada for four years.
In 2005, the Museum of Sherbrooke dedicated a retrospective of the group Plastic, celebrating the fifteenth anniversary of the publication of their manifesto and highlighting the major creative periods of Jean-Paul Jérôme.
He died in 2004.