Ernest Lindner was born in 1897, in Vienna, Austria. He immigrated to Canada in 1926 and studied art taking night classes under Augustus Kenderdine at the University of Saskatchewan.
He began teaching a night class for the Saskatoon Technical Collegiate in 1931,he eventually became a full-time instructor and Head of the Art Department in 1931 until 1962.
He returned to Austria in 1959 and completed a Master course in etching and stone lithography at the Akademie der Angewandten Kunst of Vienna.
He was a member and President of the Saskatoon Art Association, the Saskatchewan Arts Board, and a member of the first professional society of artists in Saskatchewan.
Lindner worked full-time as an artist from 1962 to1988, and was known for his engraving and his watercolours.
His works have been exhibited across Canada and internationally at Canada House Gallery, in London, England, and at Canadian Cultural centres in Paris and Brussels.
Lindner received throughout his lifetime, an Honourary Doctor of Law Degree from the University of Saskatchewan in 1972, membership in the Order of Canada in 1979, membership in The Royal Canadian Academy, and a Life Time Award for Excellence in the Arts from the Saskatchewan Arts Board he helped to establish in 1988.
He died in Saskatoon in 1988.